It’s important to secure your Grindr profile so that no one else can access it. Unfortunately, it can be very easy for someone to gain access to an account if they know your credentials, such as email or password, or if they have access to any of your devices.
Some things to look out for if you feel your account was compromised:
- If you are not able to login into your account using your last known credentials
- Updates to your profile photo or profile information that you did not make
- Chats that you didn’t start or respond to
- Favorites or blocks that you did not add
If you’re not sure how your information was compromised, you can use Have I Been Pwned to see where potential security breaches may have happened on other sites. For more direct assistance and information, reach out to the platform where your information may have been compromised.
We can assure you that Grindr is secure. All passwords on Grindr are encrypted and not even support staff can see what they are.
Securing your account
If any of your accounts on other sites have been compromised, change your password on Grindr as soon as possible. You should use a completely unique password that isn’t used on any other platform. By changing your password, your account will be logged out on any other device. If you are already logged out of the app, but have access to the email address you use to log in to Grindr, you can also send yourself a password reset link.
Locating and closing a previous profile
If you’re certain that you’ve completely lost access to your Grindr account (i.e. the email address was changed), reach out to customer support for assistance. If you’ve created a new account or a friend sees your previous profile on the grid:
- take a screenshot
- favorite the profile, and
- send customer support the email address of the Grindr account that completed these steps.
- If you have a paid account, please also send your transaction ID number.
Steps you can take to better protect yourself and your account:
- Don’t connect your social media accounts. If you do login through your Google or Apple ID, make sure that those accounts are secure.
- Avoid browsing online via Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Always update your phone’s software.
- Secure your Grindr app with a PIN and/or biometric login.
- Use a password unique to Grindr and Change your password regularly.
- Practice good password security: use a password that is hard to guess, and is a mix of letters, numbers, capitalization, and symbols. The longer the password is, the better.
- If you use Grindr Web: don't log into Grindr Web on public computers, and run an antivirus program regularly on your computer.
For more information on how to protect your account, your privacy, and your safety: