At Grindr, your privacy is a top-of-mind priority when we design features that support your in-app experience.
We’re committed to being transparent about the ways in which we process your personal information. This article explains what machine learning is, how Grindr engages in both profiling and automated decision-making powered by machine learning, and how these concepts together benefit both Grindr and you. Additionally, Grindr is committed to incorporating machine learning and automated decision-making in a way that guards against algorithmic bias in our decision making.
Key glossary terms1
- Machine learning - the capability of a device to perform functions that are normally associated with human intelligence such as reasoning, learning, and self-improvement.2
- Profiling - evaluating certain things about an individual, including interests, preferences or behavior, through an automated processing of personal information (e.g., using technology to determine someone’s interests and personal preferences based on his or her online behavior).3
- Automated decision-making - making a decision about an individual solely by automated means (i.e., making decisions by technological means without any human involvement in the decision-making process).4
Grindr’s machine learning use cases
Grindr utilizes automated decision-making and profiling through machine learning (and with the support of a machine learning partner) to support the following use cases:
To personalize your experience on Grindr.
We use some of the personal information that you provide us (such as portions of your Grindr profile) along with personal information we collect from your use of the service (e.g., when you start a chat with another user or when you login to Grindr) to power machine learning algorithms based on your interests, preferences, and behavior derived or inferred from your use of the Grindr App. Leveraging this information allows Grindr to potentially utilize automated decision-making to make your Grindr experience more personalized such as developing the ability to recommend other profiles to you.
Note that we do not share information about your HIV status or last tested date with machine learning partners, nor do we process all of the information in your Grindr profile (e.g., ethnicity) for personalization purposes.
To safeguard the Grindr platform.
We use automated decision-making and profiling to help protect Grindr from bad actors. For example, we may use machine learning to proactively flag profiles demonstrating the potential for engaging in behavior that is violative of our Community Guidelines and/or Terms of Service. This ultimately assists our efforts to prevent and respond to illegal, malicious, and unauthorized activity.
- Continually scan profiles to prevent, block and/or remediate fraudulent activity
- Review and automatically approve profile photos that adhere to our guidelines
- Review profile text, media (uploaded and shared via chat), and messages for violative content
The processing activities described above may lead to banning profiles who engage in illegal or unauthorized activities. In addition, we have a robust, human-moderated appeal system in place which ensures the right of everyone on Grindr to have a human review of any automated decision related to safeguarding the platform.
1. These definitions are provided for reference only and may change on a jurisdictional basis.
2. Definition derived from NIST
3. Definition derived from Article 29 Working Party Guidance
4. Definition derived from Article 29 Working Party Guidance